Friday, March 11, 2011

Lenten Reflection

The Lenten season is sobering ---"From ashes you have come to ashes you shall return". The Lenten season is honest --- "God have mercy on us." From contemplating our mortality to recognizing our deviations from God's ways this season is, like Mark said, "A time of spiritual preparation".

My reflection today is about obedience. Few people like being told what to do. Obedience does not seem fun and poses the danger that it can quickly morph into legalism. However, from recent readings it is clear that obedience is supremely important. In fact, it seems to Christ that obedience in Him is tantamount to love.

"Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me."(John 14:23 - 24)

You are my friends if you do what I command (John 15:14)

Does the LORD delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the LORD?
To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams. (1 Samuel 15:22)

Here are my thoughts. First, I need to know what Jesus taught. This means I need to do a better job of reading the Bible and really soaking in the wisdom of Christ. Second, I need to act those teachings out. I think for acting out his teachings we need honesty with ourselves and discernment.

No comments: