Thursday, January 14, 2010

Wealth and Saftey II

Here is another thoughtful post on Haiti. The more I read about this, the more I wonder if unprecedented action is called for. If the United Nations ever has any role to play, it ought to be here. I'm beginning to believe that the U.N. Security Council ought to declare Haiti an Emergency Mandate. And, no, I don't think the people at the U.N. are able to run Haiti. But France has a good track record in stabilizing former colonies. If the cultural problems of having France temporarily govern a country that fought early on to liberate itself from French rule are too immense, then there may some other country with similar skills: Japan? Brazil? Great Britain? Norway? As I said, if this isn't where the U.N. can do something bold and constructive to quickly address an international disaster, I'm not sure why we even have a U.N..

No comments: