Thursday, July 12, 2007

The Irresistible Revolution: Living as an Ordinary Radical

Six or seven friends beset me with invitations to read this book by Shane Claiborne. My pastor told the congregation flat-out, “It will mess you up!” and my friend Matt pulled me aside from one of our Wednesday night fellowship dinners, practically making me swear I would read it. So, I borrowed the book from another friend and I’m currently reading it. It is an easy read but I’m going to prolong it, reading only a chapter a night so it soaks in. It’s that good!

My same friend Matt told me that I may not agree with all of the author’s economics but I would find the book fascinating. I’m not sure about all his fiscal fancies because I'm not that far into the book, he is however described as an anarchist . . . so he has that going for him. One of the messages in his book thus far reminds me of a quote by Tony Campolo,

I don't know how your theology works, but if Jesus has a choice between stained glass windows and feeding starving kids in Haiti, I have a feeling he'd choose the starving kids in Haiti.

1 comment:

jessie ray said...

i'm pretty sure God would choose the kids in haiti too.