Saturday, June 2, 2007

Violation of the Transitive Property?

God is love. - 1 John 4:8 or 4:16

In his description ennumerated in the last post Paul writes that we can do all of these great things but if we have not love we profit nothing. If love = God then if we don't have God we profit nothing? (I can see that, it sounds right, kind of like the author of Ecclesiastes) Maybe this is all moving in the wrong direction . . . but I'll keep going until someone tells me I need to stop. In Paul's description of love later in chapter 13 of 1st Corinthians he says

Love is patient (I dig a patient God)
Love is kind (Sweet!)
Love is not jealous (wait!)

Okay, that's where it gets me because all the rest of what he says seems to line up with my concept of God. God doesn't keep record of wrongs, He casts our sins into the sea of forgetfulness (Micah 7:18-19, Jeremiah 31:34, Hebrews 8:12), He isn't self seeking, he has no narcissistic streak, he asks to be worshipped because he knows that in our worshipping of him that we are transformed (Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote, "It behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we worship is what we are becoming.") . . . but Jealousy!

I've always been told that God is a jealous God, unless the jealousy that God has is because of his own righteousness involved, but tell me what you think.

God=love=not jealous, therefore God=not jealous?

No comments: