Thursday, May 17, 2007

Would Jesus Blame the Victims?

Richard L. Walton said today, in an op-ed in the Tallahassee Democrat (thanks to my wife for leaving this on the breakfast table), that he is concerned about his 7 year old daughter who has asthma. I can empathize. I almost died of pneumonia when I was three, and I am prone to lingering bouts of bronchitis. When my son was diagnosed with pneumonia as a child I envisioned the worst, which fortunately did not happen. This is not a perfect time for people with respiratory problems in North Florida, because of some hazy, even smoky, conditions from wildfires. However, it is here that the wheels come off of Mr. Walton’s arguments.

You see, Mr. Walton believes that the explanations he has heard from other north Floridians about natural wildfire cycles are wrong. He believes that these fires are related to actual climate change.

Which he believes is caused by global warming.

Which he believes is caused by people who overuse air conditioning (something I also don’t like), by people who refuse to recycle (I recycle), by people who drive low mpg cars without an actual “need” (my car gets below 25 mpg gallon strictly because I drive it short distances in an around Tallahassee with its many long stoplights) and by people who “compulsively consume unaccountable hours of electronic media entertainment” (hmmmm does watching Gregory House complain about Lisa Cuddy’s attire count as “accountable”?)

Mr. Walton has acted in this direction. The money quote, in a highlighted box in the article, says: “I hereby object to paying a single additional dollar for the relief efforts in northern Florida; not for the firefighters; not for the homeowners; not for the clean-up.”

Mr. Walton also suggests that we non-hybrid-driving, video-game playing miscreants are so culpable that the Gospel of Jesus needs to be modified specifically for us: “Perhaps we can still welcome the prodigal sons home. But they shouldn’t expect any parties. The inheritance has been wasted.”

Mr. Walton realizes that this is not going to exactly make him a Welcome Wagon poster-child. He says that “It’s time to prepare for battle.” He notes that Jesus said “Do you think that I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I tell you, but rather division.” (My Bible says “a sword”, but I am very politically incorrect).

Did I mention that Mr. Walton is identified in the article as an Episcopal priest?

No comments: